Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Monday 31 January 2011

A Wild Rose and a Cafe

Golly, look at that. Here I am 50 years ago, hanging out with my grandparents Bill & Estelle. Nan was born in 1915, so she would have been about 45 at the time. I wonder if that's the feijoa tree in their Wairoa back garden in the background?


In the early hours of the morning, lying wide awake, listening to the torrentially pouring rain, I wondered what I was going to do, exactly, since I had arranged to meet my special girlfriends at the Wild the Wild Roses Cafe at the centre of Mission View Gardens, the prettiest place I could think of for a birthday; & it's all mainly outside.

But, come the morning light, the rain did stop & the sun returned to dry the garden out.
newly washed & sparkling


such a lovely setting & nicely tucked away out the back of Taradale. Quite easy to get lost trying to find it, ahem...









Gorgeous food!! beautifully presented


pretty china
& great coffee
my yummy frittata..
adored the heart of course!


dear Ruth had been all morning picking plums what better "card" could you wish for..than a plum
We were all in a lovely spot for our lunch just behind here.
My sweetest Cheryl came down all the way from Taupo for the day just for me!
some say that they are camera shy, but I don't know about that

 blending in blue
such a special time... the girls & me
Later, Dad & Bev cooked me a lovely dinner
 including a madeira cake made especially to Nan's perennial birthday cake recipe..yum!
 The power went off for an hour just after the cake went in to the oven..here it is in the background with the candles on it.
The Turkish orange cake for dessert was very delicious indeed. Pop in to the kitchen blog for the recipe.
 How do I feel about turning 50? Kay's card sums it up the best I think:

"Fifty is the FREEDOM to be yourself.
Fifty is INTUITION & IMAGINATION.
Fifty is DREAMING, DARING & DISCOVERING...
Fifty is FANTASTIC.."
 I think I will indeed celebrate this season of my life..probably mostly in the garden.
Here's to a brand new day.
 Thank you so much for all the sweet messages, gorgeous gifts & for being your lovely selves.
 MUCH


XOXOXOXO

8 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, what a fabulous way to spent your special day..happy birthday and wishing you many many more, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a fabulous day, very befitting this important birthday. A beautiful day for a new beginning. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Catherine - looks like you had a brilliant day. 50 is fun !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a lovely day, it looks really special with such lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you have such lovely cafes in your neck of the woods! I am wishing you all that your heart desires. Happy birthday katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday- I've always wanted to look like your Pre-Raphaelite lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Catherine, yes I am feeling a lot brighter, still a way to go and still in pain but at least my head is less foggy and I feel that I have got through that greyness that seemed to swamp me in January.

    ReplyDelete
  8. catherine....this is a magical birthday celebration. what a wonderful way to usher in such an important event. (im not too far from 50 either) i posted your yummy birthday frittata today and a link to this post. thanks so much for sharing. it STILL makes me hungry looking at it.
    c

    ReplyDelete

So lovely of you to leave a comment. Thank you!! So sorry if you've tried to leave one & it hasn't worked. You are welcome to email me at catherine@sunshinevintage.nz instead, if you'd like to, much love Catherine♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails